(Excerpted from the presentation)
Changing weather is a constant problem in Spring and Fall. You are at the greatest risk for hypo- or hyperthermia when you least expect it. Prevent dangerous temperature extremes by:
Sea kayaking is for anyone and everyone. Just go slow and enjoy.
- Dressing warmly, dressing for the swim you might have to take. Dressing in layers. You're after insulation, so cotton is generally a no-no, unless you want your clothing to stay wet to cool you down.
- Bringing lots of extra water to drink and staying hydrated at all times. Hydrate to the bursting point!
- Bringing sun block and a hat. Be sure to wear them both!;
- Bringing an extra layer of clothing, even when it seems too hot. Even if you don't need it, someone else may.
- Picking your paddling environment, from calm, peaceful bird watching to whitewater adrenaline thrills -- and everything in between