(Excerpted from the presentation)
weather is a constant problem in Spring and Fall. You are at the
greatest risk for hypo- or hyperthermia when you least expect it. Prevent dangerous temperature
- Dressing warmly, dressing for the swim you might have to take. Dressing in layers.
You're after insulation, so cotton is generally a no-no, unless you want your clothing to
stay wet to cool you down.
- Bringing lots of extra water to drink and staying hydrated at all times. Hydrate to the
- Bringing sun block and a hat. Be sure to
wear them both!;
- Bringing an extra layer of clothing, even when it seems too hot. Even if you don't need
it, someone else may.
- Picking your paddling environment, from calm, peaceful bird watching to whitewater
adrenaline thrills -- and everything
Sea kayaking is for anyone and everyone. Just go slow and enjoy.